Vintage Loving Librarian in 6 Inch Heels

a little about my vintage inspired life; from chickens to victory rolls...

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Something a bit more festive... Tasty Turkey Broth

I'm still not feeling particularly full of seasonal cheer (to all those people that keep telling me you have bought and wrapped all your presents, sent all your cards and pretty much prepared the dinner - I may murder you!!  - so many smug people on Facebook!!)  but one thing I love about Christmas is that there is plenty of turkey about. I love turkey; its an underrated bird, its tasty. versatile and good for you - whats not to love?!


After a roast turkey dinner on Monday I had some leftover Cabbage and Turkey and after a little read of some cookery books I combined a few ideas and it turned out very well.


So I thought I would share it with you as it might be just what you need after too many mince pies and to use up the left overs. Its healthy, hearty and comforting! Perfect for a cold day!


You will need:


Tbsp olive oil
2 medium sized potatoes - cubed with skin left on
1/2 onion - finely sliced
2-3 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
1/2 cabbage - sliced
1 tin of borlotti beans or similar beans
enough stock to cover it all - approx 800ml I used vegetable stock.
Left over turkey - shredded.


Heat the oil in a large pan and add the potatoes. cook for 4-5 minutes until they are lightly browned. Add the onions and garlic and cook for another minute or two. Add the beans and cabbage and cover in stock - just enough to cover it all. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes and then add the turkey,  keep simmering until the cabbage and potatoes are as soft as you like them. Add salt and pepper to taste.


I made this from scratch in approx 30 minutes so pretty quick and easy. 


Get a very big bowl, fill it, and enjoy!!






ttfn x

2 comments:

Wendy Bayford said...

Don't feel bad I have not bought one gift yet!!! Oh and that Broth looks utterly delicious! There is nothing nicer when its cold and rainy than a good old stew!!!

Nadia said...

Thanks for your comment! I haven't bought gifts either, don't worry :)